Reading Mechanical Drawings (Basic Blueprints)
This is an introductory course in reading mechanical drawings.
Topics covered are:
• Orthographic projection; first angle verses third angle.
• Drawing format; covers part number, notes, bill of material, revisions,
and other information on the blank drawing sheet.
• Drawing standards, including dimensioning systems, drawing views,
and hole call-outs.
• Weld Symbols per American Welding Society; how to interpret the
weld symbol to include weld size, near side verses far side, weld
length and pitch, and the weld process. Welding stresses and weld
failure modes are discussed.
• Basic Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, (GD&T).
• The concepts of using basic dimensions and a circular tolerance zone
instead of a rectangular zone, and using datum planes are covered.
Frank Orlando has a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering. He has over
30 years’ experience designing military, food processing equipment and
self-propelled agricultural harvesters.